I would love to see this forum become active again!

This is the main place to talk about our beloved plants!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

I would love to see this forum become active again!

Postby strepcrazy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:36 pm

What type of things are you interested in seeing on the forum? Is there anything you would like to see added to the forum? Suggestions are welcome! :thank_you:

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Re: I would love to see this forum become active again!

Postby I like streps » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Sorry for not being here in a while!

I see that there has been some new threads. The new forum layout looks very nice! I am happy it got updated. All I want is members to come back and talk about streps. The forum has been calm for a while.
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby davioletman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:56 am

Unfortunately, forums have been declining for some time now. I personally love forums, their purpose is the same as the Facebook groups which have become extremely popular over the past few years. What I have found through running my own forum as well as being a member here is people like the notification aspect of Facebook and other social media sites. They do not have to log in to see if something new is posted.

I look forward to going to the different groups to see what is going on. However, I am old school. The instant gratification and convenience these sites offer has made forums hard to compete with. Yahoogroups had a nice forum format. However, their wizards of smarts messed up a good thing even after numerous group owners and members literally begged them to return to their former format. We had many members but really a core of 30 members were truly active. Once the group moved to a friendlier host, it was busy for 6 months then members drifted away. It's the sad reality of today's world.

Luckily, I had started a Facebook group a year after starting the Yahoogroup to attract new members to the mother group. It had little success but the Facebook group continued to grow. That is when I knew someday the forum would eventually become inactive which now the case. I leave it open as a reference tool for the members that are still part of the group.

Sadly, I don't see the trend changing in the near future. I continue to periodically check this forum and will chime in when I have something to add that is of value.

Dave
Dave in CT
davioletman
Mod

Postby Wild Rose » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Well saiid, Dave!
I too am a huge fan a forums, but I agree with everything you said.
:clap:

Karen
We all began in a garden...
For that is where God created us!
Wild Rose

Postby strepcrazy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:24 pm

You are right Dave. I guess I will just leave it up as reference/learning guide. I like Facebook too but do not like whatever I post or comment on in groups to show to all my "friends" so I mostly just watch the facebook groups but don't post often, if ever, for that reason. If the groups were private I would participate.

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby dbarron » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Thinking about topic boards like this being obsolete almost makes me cry.
I don't disagree with what Dave said...but I've always steered clear of Facebook with it's reputation of viral transmission and incredible amount of time wasted.
Lol, and after GW->Houzz, I started looking for a new place to 'hang' out gardenwise. Maybe this isn't it...but I thought I *would* chime in and say I'd be active IF we got some other activity going. I will try to avoid posting questions and answering them myself (aka talking to myself) :nana:
dbarron

Hello ... anyone there?

Postby glissando88 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Oh no,I don't see many new posts in nearly a year! I wanted to share blooms from my first 'just for fun' cross. I crossed Dibley's Falling Stars with Heartland's Baby Egrets.
These are two small growing streps and I hope the results will be in the same category. Here are a few pictures of the blooms so far. It's been interesting to see how the traits have been expressed.
http://s631.photobucket.com/user/glissa ... t=3&page=1

I also grow African violets but could really get hooked on streps as they are so much easier to pollinate.
glissando88

Postby I like streps » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:45 am

Nice blooms!

My streps have been blooming pretty good. I do have to give them a bit of love. I need te repot them and divide them.

I hope this forum will get busy again some day. Some very knowledgeable members on here.
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Return to Lets Talk about streps!