Streptocarpus Soil Mix

Here is a place to share your tips with others. Please refrain from asking questions here....only post your tips. Thanks.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Postby davioletman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Karen, just got tired of leaf tips turning brown, yellowing foliage and babies coming up with rot on leaves. So I gave it a try, so far so good. I have definitely seen a difference in the plants. Time will tell if this a long-term solution but right now all data points that way. I don't think I will need to repot more frequently unless the plants outgrow the pots they're in. It's the same principle as hydroponics without the water being constantly around the roots.

In the 1st group of plants I shook any extra soil off the roots but what clung to it and did not take off. Every plant after I am taking as much soil as possible off the roots when I replant them. Interestingly, I would say 90% of the plants repotted have not shown any signs of shock from transplanting. The 10% that have perk up in 24-48 hrs. with no ill effects.

Dave, no. I used Miracle-gro for quite awhile when growing plants at the church. I switched to pro-mix and noticed it happening more. I tried different combinations but still got the same results. I even tried super thrive in the water and that seemed to make it worse. I know many love super thrive, for me it creates more problems than it does help. Maybe my plants are getting everything they need and it's just overload. I have not used it since repotting and have not had to cut any brown tips yet. Like I've said this may not work for anyone else or long-term for me but for now, if it's not broken don't fix it!

Dave :wateringfromabove:
Dave in CT
davioletman
Mod

strep mix

Postby Xena » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:54 am

I'm going to give your experiment a try here on a few duds - by that I mean they have sat in their little pots for months and don't die but also don't grow.

I also use Better Gro - the same formula as yours but as my plants need watering every day - I use 1/4 tsp. per gallon.

Are you trying it on different ages of streps - seedlings, teenagers, adults whatever?
Xena

Postby davioletman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Yes Xena, I have every different stage of growth in the new mix. Babies, teens, adults and leaves being set. I just saw a leaf sprouting last night I. The new mix. This leaf I planted is only 3 weeks old. I was rather shocked to say the least.

Dave
Dave in CT
davioletman
Mod

Re: Streptocarpus Soil Mix

Postby strepcrazy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:45 am

Dave, How have your plants been doing without the peat in your mix? Would love to have an update.

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby davioletman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:58 pm

Carlynn, the plants did very well in the 50/50 mix until the heat of summer. At that time the plant's new growth started to rot, and existing leaves burned. I came to the conclusion the night temps were just too high. The basement has a retaining wall attached for a parking lot and holds the heat in summer. Day temps were upper 70's to low 80's but the night temps did not go below 75. The vermiculite seemed to hold heat as well and with high humidity everything combined for one big mess. When I repotted to a 3:2 peat to perlite ratio the plants did not exhibit these symptoms. I did resume the 50/50 once the weather cooled in Oct. without incident. I chose in January to switch to a 3:1 ratio of peat to perlite which I have used since with great success.
Dave in CT
davioletman
Mod

Postby strepcrazy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Thank you for the update. It is always interesting to see how others grow and what does or doesn't work for them. :thank_you:

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tips we want you to know!