Calling Canadians and Seattle dwellers

We all have a life other than just our plants. Please feel free to post about whatever you want as long as it is not offensive to others.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Calling Canadians and Seattle dwellers

Postby Nicky » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi,

We are considering a tour type holiday from Seattle and around western Canadian Parks. If any of you are local or have been there, please could you comment on whether this sounds like a good itinerary, and whether there is much to do in Seattle before or after the tour? Thanks

Seattle to Paul Lake Provincial park to Yono National Park to Banff Nat Pk, to Lake Louise to Jasper Nat Pk to Wells Gray PP to Vancouver and back to Seattle.

It's an organised group camping/minibus tour for families with activities included. http://www.footloose.com/tours/cdf.html

Any comments or advice?

Will we be able to sell it to a 14 year old teenager? lol!

(ps we're English)
Nicky

TRIP TO WESTERN CANADA

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Hello Nicky,
I live in southeastern British Columbia in a region known as the Kootenays. This a beautiful area of B.C., off the beaten path, and not as busy as the more known areas such as Banff and Lake Louise. Highway #3 is the main road through this area and not as crazy as the more northernly route, the Transcanada #1. From Seattle you could take the North Cascades highway through Washington to Omak and then cross the border into Canada at Osoyoos. Then take Hwy 3 to Nelson. Plan to spend a couple of days in Nelson and use it as your base to explore the area. There is a circle drive called The Silvery Slocan which is a must to do. From Nelson take the ferry across Kootenay Lake and continue towards Calgary on Hwy 3. You don't have to go to Calgary but can turn North towards Banff and Lake Louise. From Lake Louise you coule return to Seattle via the Transcanada through Golden, Revelstoke, Kelowna, &Vancouver. Or if you have the time you could go from Lake Louise north to Jasper, then to Wells Gray Park, and south to Kamloops and Vancouver. This circle trip I have outlined will show you a lot of different terrain with lots of activities to do to keep everyone happy.

For more info on the Kootenays go to www.kootenayrockies.com. There are lots of maps and photos on this site and they will send you some informative brochures. I can highly recommend this area. It is just becoming discovered so come and see it before it gets over run with tour buses.

Have fun with your planning. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need more help.

Lynda
Lynda

More Trip Info

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Hello again Nicky,
Just looked at the Footloose website. I didn't realise that it was a set itinerary. I think that you would find my route more interesting but you would have to do the planning yourself. There are a few other tour companies who include the Kootenays so you may want to investigate them. Good luck,

Lynda
Lynda

Postby Nicky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Yes, it's a balance between being able to do what you want when you want to, and the amount of driving you would do, and booking activities in advance. Also in a group there would be more company for our son.

I had a look at the website you mention- that area looks really interesting. I'll spend more time on it.
Nicky

Trip

Postby Lynda » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:34 pm

Hello Nicky,

Here's another site you could look at. www.canadianpacificvacations.com. Then look at the tour "Classic West Canada B&B Tour". This is a self drive trip but all accommodations are made in advance for you so you don't have to worry about all that stuff.

Lynda
Lynda

Postby Nicky » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 am

Hi,
Now we have booked the Footloose tour, can anyone recommend a mid range hotel for us in Seattle for after the trip? We won't have a hire car.
What are the nicest areas to stay in? ...or places to avoid?

Are there any "must see" attractions or trips or activities we should do?
Nicky

Return to Off Topic