Suicidal streps ?????

We all have a life other than just our plants. Please feel free to post about whatever you want as long as it is not offensive to others.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Suicidal streps ?????

Postby Xena » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:11 am

No matter how I try to appease them I keep having incidents of streps falling (or pushing each other) off plant shelves.

Is there a method to this madness? I have tried double and triple potting them. Adding glass pebbles to the pot bottoms for ballast. I have staked them. I have pleaded with them, tried reasoning with them.
Threatened them. All to no avail.

I see many ebayers and commercials grow them in small solo cups. How do they keep them from tipping over?

Fortunately they seem to survive even a three shelf drop to the floor but, spilled soil is everywhere and sometimes they land on other plants and damage them.

If anyone has suggestions on keeping them upright and in their place, please, please send them in.

Have seriously considered getting some kind of netting to put around sides of the light stand to keep them from jumping off. But don't know where to look and how to attach without making it too difficult to reach them for watering etc.

Would double sided tape work, or just get ruined by getting wet.

Duct tape?? Velcro? Help.....Xena :sos:
Xena

help!

Postby masdyman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:25 am

Hi Xena
What are your shelves made from????
If they are wood you can nail/screw a bigger pot to the shelf and then slip your pot into that. If they are wire you can wire the bigger pot to that.
If they are plastice try superglue/velcro onthe bigger pot.
I grow mone on wire shelves and dont seem to have tghe problem. What size pot are you using??? Perhaps grow in a bigger pot. Put a false bottom on your shelves made from welded wire squares the size that a pot can fit into then slip your pots in the holes.
Tomake a false botom, buy some wire with square sections the size of your pots. Bend the ends of the wire sheet over so that they from legs and that will hold them slightly above the shelf and allow the pot to slip into the hole.
Does any of this make sense?
Hope it helps
masdyman

Postby Xena » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:47 am

Dennis,

It's me Nancy. I understand your instructions but, I have one big plastic tray on each shelf (came with the light stand), and use many different sizes of pots from 2 1/4 inch to 4" or so on them.

The plants also get moved around alot - wherever I can find a place to fit them in. Really like the velcro idea I'll look for the self-sticking kind.

I hope you get the seeds shortly.Good day(or night) to you, Nancy
aka Xena. :thank_you:
Xena

Postby Peggy in CO » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Xena - I use Oyama Planters for my larger streps, that I don't grow for club sales. I do use the small 3 oz cups for the starters, and keep them in trays with 3" sides so they don't fall out of the tray, some do fall over in the tray though. I also wick water and keep the larger plants in containers (usually ceramic) with enough room below to keep the water for the wick. I'm always picking up ceramic containers with 3" or 4" mouths for this purpose, from consignment stores, etc., garage sales

My streps really like the Oyama Planters the best though and have not had any "jump" - hope this helps!
Peggy in CO

Postby Gessiejunkie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 pm

I like to pot mine in the 5" squatty "bulb pans"--they don't seem to be inclined to be suicidal in those, even when I put those on top of my Tupperware on the shelves to get them closer to the light. :spank:

If I have smaller growing ones, I put them in the little 2 1/2" square pots that I have piles of--I put tons of those in clear shoeboxes (for propagation) or in regular black trays (for growing) Pack 'em in, and they can't fall over, lol! :idea_thinking:

Sharon (I really need to get on making that siggie, lol!)
Gessiejunkie

Postby ryferre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:24 am

As much as I hate to admit it I have found that cutting the leaves in half keeps my plants from over crowding and still gives me flowers. This way I choose one rack to be my "show plants"(to put around the house), and the rest stay happy and blooming on the shelves- even though I have cut their leaves. I have found it very useful. In fact- I find it more pleasing to look at because I can see each individual plant instead of a forest.

Ryan
ryferre

Return to Off Topic