Too much

We all have a life other than just our plants. Please feel free to post about whatever you want as long as it is not offensive to others.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Too much

Postby masdyman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi all, just thought I wuld check in to say I'm still around.
This Summer we have had the highest temperatures ever recorded in Australia and we are still in the grip of an 8 year drought. I know you guys have similar problems but this year it has been just a bit too much for me.
2 weeks ago we had 5 continuous days over 104F peaking at 114F on one day. As I grow my Streps in a cold glasshouse/greenhouse the flowers were decimated and it took me all of my time just to keep the plants from frying. It was aweful.
As you may or may not know that weather moved into the next state (Victoria) last week and the bush fires were horrendous. Over 2000 homes absolutely wiped out and the loss of 181 (and counting) wonderful Australian lives including many children. Our whole country is in shock but the response has been wonderful. So far approx $A90,000,000 has been raised from a population of 22 million.
I hope you guys dont get similar weather this summer.
Over and out for now
masdyman

Postby strepcrazy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 am

I was thinking of you last night when I finally had time to stop and watch the news and saw the fire reports. I am so sorry for all that are suffering and those that lost their lives in the fires. I hope your temperatures cool off for you and you get some cooling rains. Keep us updated when you can and take care!

Best wishes to you Dennis! :wateringfromabove:

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Too much

Postby Xena » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:54 am

Dennis, great to hear from you. When I heard about the fires on the news, I was so worried for you. I couldn't recall where you lived in Australia.

I know the drought has been causing misery for years, the horrendous fires have been "overkill." I heard some talk on TV that possibly the fires were deliberately set. Is there any truth in that?

PLEASE stay safe. Xena
Xena

Thanks

Postby masdyman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am

Thanks guys for your well wishes. Yes Xena, some of the fires were deliberately lit. They have one guy (a 39 year old) in custoday and they have had to move him to another city because of the hatred this gut has generated. It has cooled down considerably but the temperature is on the rise again in the next few days, but no rain forecasted.
Enough doom and gloom.
My Streps survived the heat although I did have to keep cutting the flowers off. This year is a total right off for flowers.
Xena - my seedlings have all survived but the heat did slow the growing process quite considerably. I guess I will have to wait until next year to see what I have.
Stay well everyone
masdyman

Return to Off Topic