Christmas begonia.....

We all have a life other than just our plants. Please feel free to post about whatever you want as long as it is not offensive to others.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Christmas begonia.....

Postby rdriskill » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi group,

I know this is a Streptocarpus group. But, I am asking for your help. I have been looking for a Begonia called the Christmas begonia. It is (was ) seen in flower shops many years ago. It was quit popular in the 30's though the 1970's. The last time I saw one was in the early 1970's. And I was in my teens . They have gone out of favor to a much more popular Christmas pot plant the Poinsettia. Anyway, I have tried and tried to find this plant the last few years, with no luck. From what I understand it could be no longer grown here in the USA. But, it is still grown in Europe, and other counties. It goes by several names such as 'Lady Mac', Marjorie Gibbs', 'Melior', 'Tove', 'Karolina', 'Compacia' , and many others. It blooms in the late fall, and early winter months. And has pink blooms. Does any one out there know of this plant? And if so, where or how I can get it. I know this is a long post. And I thank everyone for listening to me yak. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season......Russ in Iowa, USA.
rdriskill

Return to Off Topic