What are your other hobbies

We all have a life other than just our plants. Please feel free to post about whatever you want as long as it is not offensive to others.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

What are your other hobbies

Postby I like streps » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 pm

I thaught about starting a post about other peoples hobbies.

I will start. I like to bike and race proffesional grade rc cars.
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby I like streps » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Anyone else want to share their other hobbies???
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby davioletman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:41 am

I like fishing and outdoor gardening.
Dave in CT
davioletman
Mod

Postby I like streps » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Yes, fishing is fun but we don't have alot of places were to go fishing. I only fish when I go to my friends cottage.

What do you fish?
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby davioletman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 am

I like freshwater fishing. Mostly largemouth bass and calico bass.
Dave in CT
davioletman
Mod

Postby larrysviolets » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 am

Hi,

I collect Danish Christmas plates as well as glass fish net floats.

I write websites as a hobbie too.

I also swim.
larrysviolets

Postby larrysviolets » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:31 am

PS.

I used to have two tropical fish aquariums, but have trimmed down to just a 1 1/2 gallon betta tank.
larrysviolets

Postby I like streps » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm

We have an aquarium too. I think it is 40 gallons. Not sure. We use to have discuss and neons. They all died. The neons wer eating the discuss's tail and the neons would also go thru the filter. Now we have like 4 guppis and a gold fish. We need more fish since this aquarium is huge. Salt water fish are nice but are very expensive and need maintenance.
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby larrysviolets » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello I like,

Discus are very difficult fish to have. They really are sensitive to their environment and I know of very few people who have success with them. They sure are neat fish though, aren't they?

I used to have a 29 gallon tropical fish tank and a 15 gallon goldfish tank. In the tropical aquarium I had just about everything at one time or another neons, danios, mollies, swords, guppies, angel fish, loaches, catfish, algae eaters and even a shrimp. I had fan tails in the goldfish aquarium.

I really liked having aquariums, but I'm somewhat disabled and I just couldn't keep up without having somebody help me with the maintenance. That is cleaning and water changing. So I finally sold my setup. I kind of regret selling them though. I'm getting stronger and the possibility of having an aquarium would now be more likely. Now I can't afford to buy the aquariums I used to have. Oh well. I like my little betta tank and at least it is low maintenance.
larrysviolets

Postby I like streps » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 am

Yes, disccus are very intersting fish. For a while we had three. But you know they are expensive and when you flush them down the toilet it aint fun. Kissing goodbye a nice fish and 60$. We have also had different speciess too before. What was cool about the discuss is that they would change color whith ther mood. It was was fascinating

If you want you can get a small aqarium for not too much. I think a starter kit is around maybe 300$ for a small aquarium that comes with everything but water and fish..

Bettas I don't like since they always seem to die. They are nice but just dissapointing to have. Is ther any trick to make a betta live a long time?
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby larrysviolets » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello I like,

I'm afraid that $300 is way over our budget. We are both retired in on fixed income. I thought about getting a 5 gallon setup that that would be around $50.00. That's even a little steep for us.

The other problem is finding the space. I would have to get rid of a plant stand in order to have a 29 gallon aquarium for instance. And that would put a real cramp in where I would put the plants. I thought about the 5 gallon aquarium as I could put it on one of my plant stand shelves. Again though, where am I going to put the plants? lol

I think I have found the solution to the bettas. I have it in a 1 1/2 gallon aquarium. I would not advise anything smaller than that. In fact, some people suggest a 5 gallon aquarium as a minimum. What is needed for the water to be warmer than room temperature. I have a small heater in the aquarium. Also there is an under-gravel filter so that we get a good bacterial ecosystem going. I've had bettas last two years before the heater and I think that the reason it only lasted two years is because of the lack of warmth. With my new betta I decided to get a heater and the difference in the fish was just phenomenal. It swims around practically all the time, where before it would stay still for long periods of time. I think I basically froze the last betta to death. I will keep you posted on how well this betta does.
larrysviolets

Postby Disa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:43 pm

I have 4 lizards (Bearded Dragons). Maybe quite unusual for an 'old girl like me'..! hehe
Usually peole get quite surprised when I tell them I have real dragons at home. :)

This is Teo, my favorite girl (yes, she is a girl, dispite the name..!)
Disa

Postby larrysviolets » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Disa,

Yes, most girls and women don't have lizards. I am more of a cat person myself. lol
larrysviolets

Postby I like streps » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 am

Nice frog. I would love to have lizards and stuff like that but it is too expensive for me.

@ Larry, Now I know why Bettas are never swiming. That is because of the cold. Do you have any pics of your aquarium?
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Postby Disa » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

Frog?
My Teo is a lizard! :)

I know its a bit unusual to have lizards, most people are surprised when I tell them. :)
Disa

Next

Return to Off Topic