Bread making.

We all have a life other than just our plants. Please feel free to post about whatever you want as long as it is not offensive to others.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Bread making.

Postby larrysviolets » Fri May 14, 2010 4:36 am

Hi,

I have gotten back into making bread again after all of these years and have been baking bread for several weeks now. I am thinking about making a sourdough starter and making sourdough bread. Does anyone else here bake bread?
larrysviolets

Bread making

Postby Xena » Fri May 14, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't make br :jump_for_joy: ead but does it count that I EAT Bread, I love it.
Xena

Postby I like streps » Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Seems to me that bread is kinda hard and takes a long time to make.
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Re: Bread making

Postby larrysviolets » Fri May 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Xena wrote:I don't make br :jump_for_joy: ead but does it count that I EAT Bread, I love it.

I guess it counts a little. I like eating it too. I wish you could taste some of mine. Not quite the answer I was looking for though. :mrgreen:

I like streps wrote:Seems to me that bread is kinda hard and takes a long time to make.

Yes, it take several hours. And sourdough bread must be prepared the night before.
larrysviolets

Postby strepcrazy » Thu May 20, 2010 3:38 am

Hi Larry,

I have been baking my own bread for several months. I grind my own wheat and have fun making different recipes.

I tried to make a sour dough start several months ago. The directions called for several days of the start sitting on the counter to try to get a good natural yeast to grow. It worked good for the first couple of days. It started to get a good bubbling going and a pleasant smell. I planned to bake with it the next day. Sadly the next day it smelled as if someone lost their lunch in the bowl. I threw it out and haven't tried again. I have looked at more simple recipes that you mix up and leave it overnight. I might try that if I get brave again.

Let me know how your sourdough turns out.

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby larrysviolets » Thu May 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Carlynn,

I got a starter going last week and made my first loaf of bread Sunday morning. It turned out wonderful. I put the starter into the refrigerator and last night took some out mixed it with warm water and flour to make a sponge large enough for two loaves of bread. It worked just fine. The sponge was nice and bubbly by this morning and I made two loaves of bread and set them out to rise. I had a doctor's appointment this morning so I went to it figuring that it would take about four or 5 hours for the bread to rise. I came home and they had barely risen. I wasn't quite sure what to do. So I just put them in the oven anyway and hoped that they would rise some during the baking process. I had seen this happen a little bit before in previous bread making.

Well, the bread rose so much that it practically split in half from the side. It is pretty dense but still edible. This tells me that the 69° room temperature I had the dough in was not warm enough for it to rise. Next time I'll make the environment a little warmer. I guess I'm learning all the time.

Anyway, don't despair. I think you almost had the starter going if there was some bubbling occurring. Next time, after a couple of days, feed your starter a little bit. It may have gotten too hungry. I wouldn't give up though. I think it's definitely worth the effort in savings in yeast. I can't believe how much yeast costs these days!

Here's a picture of one of the split loafs. You can see that it rose pretty quick while backing.

larrysviolets

Postby I like streps » Fri May 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Looks yummy.

On our oven we have a button we can use called bread poofing. Maybe we should make some some day.
I like plants.
I like streps
Mod

Return to Off Topic