Falling in love " Streptocarpus Jules"

This is a great way to increase your plants! Trading will be done at ones own risk. I can not be held responsible for things that go on off board. Thanks.

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Falling in love " Streptocarpus Jules"

Postby lottis » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:49 pm

:oops: :oops: Wonder if any want to help me to find the right Jules.I wish to trade or buy one leaf from this wonderful strepps..I had then early but mine don't have any fantasy this time I wish to be sure--Please is it any who can help me,,!!! :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :thank_you: Lottis
lottis

Hi

Postby lottis » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:31 pm

I think I am waiting to the spring to find this I asked about,The first snow is here and I don't wont to take a risk about to trade..Thanks to all who help me and trade with me..Lottis :thank_you:
lottis

re: strep Jules

Postby Xena » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:02 pm

I Had Jules a couple years ago. Half the plant would bloom with fantasy and the other half solid colored. I should say I bought a mature plant in bloom because it never bloomed for me after that.

I started a few babies and they were very slow growing and didn't bloom so I ended up tossing them.

I know Gary Mikita in Indiana, "Garys-out-of-africa- had the plant and I suspect he still does have some.
Xena

Thanks

Postby lottis » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Hello
Thanks for the tips,,I have one Jules now and then has not flowering so it is execting to see..lottis
lottis

Postby Trudy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:56 am

lottis,

If your Jules plant does not bloom true, let me know, I do have some starts of it. I have not been able to get a Jules to bloom true from a leaf. I always propagate that one from a side shoot (sucker).

Trudy
Trudy

Thanks Trudy

Postby lottis » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:12 am

Thanks Trudy .So kind of you..Let you know when it start to flowering..Lottis
lottis

Postby gene » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:18 pm

Trudy, you made an interesting statement here, that you have never been able to have a S. 'Jules' bloom true for you when propagated from a leaf. The one thing I can vouch for is that from the hundreds of plants I have propagated from leaves over the years, the flowers of that baby ALWAYS looked just like the mother plant. They are effectively a clone. Now when it is still a juvenile plant and bloomes for the first time, then the flowers may not be as large or as plentiful as its mother plant, but man they sure look like its parent in any other respect. Is it possible that you may have had different cultural growing conditions that may account for any difference in the offspring's flowers? I have to admit though that I have never propagated a fantasy or variegated strep, or even owned one for that matter. As Lottis can attest to I only own variegated dogs. But I sure can't see any reason why S. 'Jules' would behave any different than virtually any other plant in the world.

You also mention that you propagate Jules from a side shoot or sucker. Streps don't really have suckers in the sense that you would find on cacti or succulents. Are you talking about actual plant division? I personally have not been terribly successful with that method, probably partially because I don't divide a plant until it is on its way downhill and I'm trying to salvage a part of it.

Gene/San Francisco
gene

Postby Trudy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:22 am

Gene, I don't have any trouble with propagating from a leaf with any of my other streps. S. Jules and S. Tarjars Roger W. I cannot get to come true from leaf propagation, they bloom pink. I have heard others say that have had this same problem. I was assuming that it was because of the Fantasy. I suppose I shouldn't assume anything, that might not be the reason. You sure could be right, it might be my growing conditions. I grow a lot of violets and the streps are in with them. The AVSA convention is next month and I will have to ask some of the big strep grows if they have had this problem.

When I said that I propagate from suckers or side shoots I was talking about plant division. I divide my streps up because I don't have the room to let them grow so large.

Trudy
Trudy

I have this answer from a freind for over 1 months ago

Postby lottis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:12 am

Hi
IO have also heard about it--Send a copy of an mail from a freind over 1 month ago--I have any freind who tol dme she has put down 9 leaf from Toronto Silver Splash no has flowering right yet,,
Here is my freind answer,,-----------
Remember with Toronto silver splash,and tar jar and jules and fancy pants(though fancy pants im not sure about,but they dont come true from leaves all that often,you need a root divsion to get a true blooming one,
now with robs and neils fantasys they will come true from a leaf cutting,I dont know why but thats the way things are..
Lottis
lottis

Return to Wanna Trade?