What happens with my streps babies

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

What happens with my streps babies

Postby lottis » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:39 pm

Hi
I have put a photo in the Gallery/album /lottis what happens some of my streps babies?Why did I have this spots?
My first time to try to have varigated streps,I crosses Ice wine + Iced Ice baby + Emily.Of all this seeds I think it was nearly 200 babies.I safe about 100 and I have only 10-11 with varigated leaves,This show at once the varigation.Is it always so at you have so few with varigated leaves?
My freind has the others and she said no of hers 100 have any varigation so totalt over 200 I have 10-12 with varigated Leaves..Seems to try again but is it any safe cards to choise to have many with varigated leaves?
Sorry my english hope you understand what I mean,,
How do you do to have them with fantasy flowers?Lottis :doh:
Do every day to the best day of your life.
I wish a fine day.Lottis
Welcome to take a look on my
website
http://blomfian.5min.se/
lottis

what happens with my strep babies

Postby Xena » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:55 am

I can't see the photos well enough to make out what spots you are concerned about. Your babies look like normal streps to me. They have more green than white on them at this stage so they should grow faster.

Your plants look very young. Don't rush to throw out any solid green ones. Many times the variegation doesn't show up in the first two or three leaves but can come up later.

I often cut back some of the leaves, especially the all green ones, to encourage the plant to grow new leaves. I am looking for them to put out some with a bit of variegation.

I promised you seeds from a variegated cross. Should be about another month till the pod is ripe. This is a variegated crossed with a fantasy flower. I have never tried for fantasy flowers before, so I cannot give you any advice.

From what I have heard from other hybridizers, it is not easy to get fantasy flowers. You have to be patient and sometimes try very many crosses to get the type of results you are seeking. This is true for almost any trait you desire .

About a month ago I used pollen from a fantasy flowered strep on several of my plants, and even selfed- a couple of the fantasy ones. It seems to take forever waiting for pods to ripen. And much longer to grow babies large enough to bloom to see if I succeeded or failed. I know how hard it is to be patient but thats all you can do.

Efforts to hybridize variegated streps with scent, has instead given me some very interesting green leafed scented streps. with different blossom colors, netting, and smaller size than what is currently available.

Welcome whatever achievements you have hybridizing .You may not get what you wanted - but you may produce plants that are very special in other ways. Enjoy them. :idea:
Xena

Thanks

Postby lottis » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:43 am

oh so wonderful about the seeds..Yes Ilove alot to sow..It is so fun..I should take a better photo today there is small spots on the leaves,,Thanks for all help,I can't see any insects..Lottis
I wish a fine day.Lottis
website
lottis

new photo

Postby lottis » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 am

Now I have put in new photo
I wish a fine day.Lottis
website
lottis

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!