Is my pod ready?

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Is my pod ready?

Postby Nicky » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 am

Hi,
I have large pods on one Srep. One is beginning to go brown.

This morning I looked with a hand lens, and even though it is quite plump, I can see gaps beginning in the spiral.

Is it time to cut it off, or do I need to leave it until the gaps are more visible with the naked eye?
I don't want to lose all the seeds!

When I cut it off, can I sow them straight away, or do I need to keep them a few days?
Nicky

Postby John Beaulieu » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Nicky
I doubt you would ever loose ALL the seeds. You will have more seeds than you would ever want to sow. I generally leave the pod until the stem of the pod has dried out. By this time the pod is getting dry as well. After clipping off a dry, brown pod, I often leave it sit for a day or so to be sure it is dried. If it is already splitting, do these operations over some white paper to collect any fallen seed. Seed can be sown right away, but only sow a small portion, storing the rest in a sealed container in the fridge. I have had seed stay viable for many years when refridgerated.

John
John Beaulieu

pods

Postby masdyman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:55 am

As soon as the pod starts to turn brown I cut it off and place it in an envelope where it can stay until it dries out.
masdyman

Postby Nicky » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:51 am

It was ready. I sowed some of them about 11 0r 12 days ago and germination has started.
I'm a bit worried what to do over Christmas. I'll be away over a week.
They are in an egg mayo container in a heated propagator with the lid on.
Will I just leave them in and hope the enclosed atmosphere looks after them?

I harvested another pod yesterday.
Nicky

seed pods ready

Postby Xena » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:53 pm

Nickym

GOOD FOR YOU!! I'm not sure what a egg mayo container is but, I think your seeds should be fine while you are away. Usually the first month at least they can get by(with a lid on).

If I see the potting medium is drying out, I just give a little spray with water.

Congrats on your babies now you will be hooked for sure. I can never wait to see what the blossoms look like. I end up trying to force them open(with miserable results), everybody knows, because they see a petal is missing or something else got torn off.

My mother used to have a fit because I did that to her roses when I was a little girl. She said I ruined them. But, actually I only went after the first bloom.

Xena
:jump_for_joy:
Xena

Postby ryferre » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:57 pm

I sow all of my seeds inside airtight containers! I can plant them--and forget about them. If I wanted to that is--usually I am way too excited to see them grow!.

I have many seedlings that are in containers such as these on very low nutrients, in a stunted state, waiting for me to move them out to grow on. In fact--some have been in the seedling stage for almost 2 years. It is a wonderful trick!

Your Christmas vacation should go over well with them!

Best wishes,

Ryan
ryferre

Postby Nicky » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:06 am

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!
My egg mayo container is a square supermarket tub with lid. I had also tried using a plastic takeaway container for seeds, but found the lid too difficult to take off- it dropped all the condensation when I was trying to remove it.
By the way, about 60 of this sowing (egg mayo) are up now.

Ryan, you say you use sealed containers for seeds. Does this mean you don't make holes in the bottom?

Do you think I should put "greenhouse" at the bottom of my "Christmas list", or is there a better way of suggesting the idea to hubby?!
Nicky

greenhouse

Postby masdyman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 am

Sounds like a great idea to me. I wil help yopu get started

Dear Santa

:evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh:
masdyman

Postby ryferre » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:30 pm

I do not put holes in the bottom. I know that some people do!

I simply make sure that there is not TOO MUCH moisture before I seal it up! If I see that there is I will actually pop open the lid.

One trick is to use a hygrometer to get a visual of what the humidty is inside your container.
I like to keep my humidity around 60-70%.

I also creat a very dilute fertilizer in a spray bottle that I use to add water to the container when it gets low.

When the seedlings start to grow I lift them with a toothpick then replant to stimulate their growing. I will then spray a mist at each strepling. I aldo leave the lid off for a few hours to prevent excess moisture.

I also will sometimes use a copper powder and rotenone to prevent bugs and fungi.

I hope that this is helpful.

My mix that I like to use is 1:1:1 Peat:Vermiculite:Perlite

Ryan
ryferre

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!