Flower Color Genes in Streptocarpus

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Flower Color Genes in Streptocarpus

Postby strepcrazy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:46 pm

Flower Color Genes in Streptocarpus

Dr. Jeff Smith

Indiana Academy
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306
Jsmith4@bsu.edu


During my work with the flower color genetics of African violets, I found several articles on the flower color genetics of Streptocarpus that were published in the 1950's by Lawrence and Sturgess. If you are hybridizing with Streptocarpus, I would urge you to read the original articles, but the following is a quick summary of their reports.

Genes:
V = places pigment in the flower stems.
F = places pigment in the petal cells.
V and F are both necessary to give "color", but do not control "which color". These genes are similar to house keys that let a painter in the house, but they don't control what color he will paint the rooms. When V or F are recessive (vv or ff) the flowers will lack any color and will be white in appearance.

I = color intensity. II = intense color, Ii = medium color and ii = pale color.
This gene doesn't control "which color", just how "intense" the final color will be in appearance.

The actual flower color genes (O,R,D) are very similar to that of African violets, although the names given to the visible color are somewhat different. The names of the colors and their genotype codes are given below. Where the second copy of the gene is given as a "_", the second copy can be a dominant or a recessive. For example, in Blue flowers, only one dominant of each the three genes is needed.

Blue = O_R_D_
Magenta = ooR_D_
Pink = oorrD_
Mauve = O_R_dd
Rose = ooR_dd
Salmon = oorrdd

The Blue-Magenta-Pink series is the same as the Blue-Fuchsia-Pink series in African violets. The Mauve-Rose-Salmon series is the same as the Coral Blue-Coral Red-Coral Pink series in African violets.



Other genes affect the pattern of color or modify the final color. Some of these genes are:

B = gives a blotch of color in the throat of the bloom. The recessive "bb" produces flowers without a blotch. The trait appears to produce a darker or more intense version of the color of the outer edges of the petals. Thus, you can get dark pink blotches on a lighter pink flower etc.

H= gives color on the capitate hairs of the pistil. The recessive "hh" gives white or colorless hairs.

Genes F,I,B, and H are very closely linked and are usually inherited as a single unit. Therefore, many plants have pigmented flowers with at least medium intense color and blotches in the throat or have white flowers without blotches.

C = adds a co-pigment to the flower color. This gene modifies the appearance of the color, giving a bluish tint to the overall color. Plants with the recessive "cc" combination have flowers that are "brighter" in appearance. In the Mauve-Rose-Salmon series, the dominant gene produces undesirable murky colors.

L = puts nectar guides in the flower tubes. The recessive "ll" produces flowers without the lines.

Y = puts a yellow central stripe in the flower tube. I suspect that the size of the yellow area changes with "YY" versus "Yy" plants. The recessive "yy" would produce flowers with no yellow in the flower tube.

This is a beginning list. Other genes are mentioned in the original articles, but they appear to involve some rarely seen color modifications. Genes for plant size, fragrance etc. were not mentioned in these articles.


References:

Lawrence, W.J.C. and V.C. Sturgess. 1957. Studies on Streptocarpus. III. Genetics and
Chemistry of Flower Colour in the Garden forms, Species, and Hybrids. Heredity 11:
303-336.

Lawrence, W.J.C. 1957. Studies on Streptocarpus. IV. Genetics of Flower Colour
Patterns. Heredity 11: 337-357.
Last edited by strepcrazy on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image
User avatar
strepcrazy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:27 am
Location: Utah USA

Strep color

Postby gene » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:49 pm

Great going Carlynn. Now all I need is a set of instructions on how to get truly lemon yellow strep flowers.

Gene/San Francisco
gene
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: San Mateo, California, U.S.A.

Postby aspenkeep » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:14 am

Hmm, I came here to find out how blue x really dark purple blue gave me pink. And I still don't understand. :roll:

Barb/Colorado
aspenkeep
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:03 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Postby Maureen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Barb,

There are two genes for each trait. In this case there are three traits that determine bloom colour. For the O trait, Blue is dominant and pink tones are recessive. So if you have one blue and one pink gene (Oo), the bloom will be blue. I would guess that the cross you made was of a hybrid (Oo) with another hybrid (Oo). That would give you a 25% chance of a pink bloom and 75% would be blue/purple. The possible combinations taking one gene from each parent are:
OO -- blue
Oo -- blue
oO -- blue
oo -- pink

Hope this explanation helps.
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
Maureen
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 pm


Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron