Anyone hybridizing with S. lilliputana?

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Anyone hybridizing with S. lilliputana?

Postby dale4streps » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 am

I finally harvested some seeds from a cross between S. meyeri x S. lilliputana. It wasn't a happy union as I hardly got any seeds, but will sow them today. The frustrating thing is that S. lilliputana had seed pods on it for twelve weeks and when they dried: nothing! Happily I was able to use it as a father. The other cross with a seed pod that isn't ready yet is Kenji Hirose's hybrid 'Crimson Rouge' x S. lilliputana. 'Crimson Rouge' is highly unusual. It's red with three white patches on the lower petals. I'll have to post a photo in this site's photo album.
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby strepcrazy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:15 am

I have a tiny plant that has not bloomed yet but wanted to try crossing it with one of my Japanese streps that are smaller/compact but bloom a lot.

Can't wait to see what you get. I love seeing what you hybridizers come up with. :drool:

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby dale4streps » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 am

For me S. lilliputana is a seasonal bloomer. It starts blooming in June and I've had flowers as late as December. But it isn't blooming constantly for me, just in spurts. The first dozen flowers had no pollen, just waxy nubs. The styles on all of the first flowers were bent right before the stigma which might be why they didn't make seeds (although they made seed pods). The three December flowers' anthers had pollen. S. lilliputana does seem to grow and flower better if it is near a window. Mine is wick watered.

Happily, Lee Stradley's 'Fernwood's Minuet' and 'Fernwood's Silhouette' which have S. lilliputana as their mother are year-around bloomers and not seasonal bloomers.
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby ryferre » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Dale and others---

Did you know that you actually can trim the tip of the stigma and still pollinate the stigma? If you have a deformed stigma I would recommend that you try this.

Hey Dale---would this be a good plant to micropropagate and distribute in Denver? Let me know---

Ryan
ryferre

Postby dale4streps » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:11 pm

It'd be phenomenal to be able to give away S. lilliputana by the dozens in Denver. No one has ever widely distributed a new species like this before! I'd be happy to try to send leaves this week in a heat pack if you wish to do this. Is there enough time? Send me your home address privately if you wish to do this.

Dale in Illinois
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby Maureen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Great idea. Lilliputana is not easy to propagate. I put down two leaves and have just one surviving plant.

My plant is yet to bloom, but I'm looking forward to using Lee's plants in crosses.
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
Maureen

Micropropagation of species for Convention

Postby ryferre » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Dale,

When the weather warms up a bit- I would still be willing to micropropagate this plant for the Convention this year (2009).

I am not sure if I will be in attendance- but I am sure I can find a happy candidate for a box full of plantlets. "Heck- I could ship them to the Hotel".

Let me know- Ryan
ryferre

S. lilliputana

Postby Carol222 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Ryan,
You could ship them to me. I'll be driving over the river to the convention, and I'll be happy to deliver them. Send me an email if you want my address.
Carol
carol.gates@earthlink.net
Carol222

Postby ryferre » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:03 am

That would be awesome. I am ordering a few other gesneriad species from the AGGS seed fund and will try a few other Strep species to micropropagate. Wish me luck!

Ryan
ryferre

Postby dale4streps » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Ryan, Please remind me when the weather warms to send you S. lilliputana. Dale
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby ryferre » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 pm

I will do that!

Ry
ryferre

Postby Carol222 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Hey, Ryan,
The convention is almost here. Do you have plants you want me to bring, or are you coming yourself?
Carol
Carol222

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!