Second generation variegate

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Second generation variegate

Postby Maureen » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi all,

I have my first bloom from my second generation. It's from Iced Texas Twilight X (Canterbury Surprise X Bristol's Leopard Skin). It's been in a 3-inch pot for the past 6 months, so I'm hoping that this will continue to be a small one as the bloom is in proportion.

I've posted a picture in the photo album area. I am calling it Blackberry Jubilee for now.

Maureen
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
Maureen

Postby dale4streps » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Maureen,

You got strong variegation on that one! I hope you begin to get more than two flowers per stem as that's been a barrier rarely broken yet. In fact, I can't recall a variegated hybrid with more than 2 flowers per stem. I've certainly tried! I used the variegated S. candidus as a parent to get more flowers crossed with the variegated Iced Texas Twilight, but not only didn't I get variegation, I didn't get more than two flowers which is nuts because S. candidus is floriferous!

Dale having some crackers with my whine!
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby Maureen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi Dale,

That's a goal for the third generation crosses. I don't mind the two blooms per stem if there are lots of stems. Floriferousness is the combination of blooms per stem, number of stems and the lasting power of each bloom. It doesn't matter if there is only one bloom per stem, if you can still get a full head of bloom for more than a couple of months.

There are lots of stems coming on this one. But lasting power of the bloom doesn't seem to be strong. The first bloom opened on Thursday, I think, and it's already fading. I was hoping for a full week. Sigh. If I get a decent head of bloom in the next week or so, I will post another pic.

I think I will cross it with Emily's Song's sibling that is in bloom now.
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
Maureen

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!