Fernwood's Minuet x Nerys

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Fernwood's Minuet x Nerys

Postby dale4streps » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:52 pm

I posted two photos in the public albums. Both of these are from my breeding attempts to make smaller streps. The cross on both is Fernwood's Minuet x Nerys. I'm glad they don't look alike. It's more fun that way. The flowers on the newest seedling look similar to Joker, but darker. So far the leaves are around 6 inches and the flower is only 3/4 inches wide. It grows in a strong rosette shape. I'll be growing it on and see its worthiness to avoid the compost. If I don't name it, at least it'll be used as a parent. I particularly like smaller flowers on smaller plants. I've named the white flowering hybrid 'Heartland's Baby Egrets' and it is already is a winner through entering it at the Missouri Valley AV convention. It got Best Gesneriad.

Please write to me if you have created or are creating smaller strep hybrids. I'm giving the GHA program at the Gesneriad Society convention this July and it is on various hybridizers' efforts to create smaller streps. We'll feature my friend Lee Stradley's efforts (he's "Fernwood's") as well as others.
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby Gessiejunkie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:07 am

Dale,

I like "Baby Egrets"--it has a very nice rosette form, and clean, simple blooms. Don't get me wrong, I love the netted, wild colored ones as much as anyone, but sometimes, just a simple, well-blooming plant is really attractive.

Were these the only 2 babies you were considering for "moving on" from this cross?

Sharon
Gessiejunkie

Postby dale4streps » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 am

Sharon, I have around a dozen more seedlings that'll bloom in the next month, so it's a pretty exciting time. The flowers on the purple seedling with Joker's throat are quite small, only 3/4 of an inch wide. H's Baby Egret flowers are larger. It would be nice to get small flowers on small plants.

I also have a zillion seedlings just a couple weeks old. I'm giving the GHA program at the gesneriad convention at the end of June on creating smaller streps, so my timing is good for getting blooms on the newest seedlings by then. I'm using: S. meyeri, S. Fernwood's Minuet, S. Fernwood's Silhouette and S. lilliputana as the main parents with S. Nerys and S. Crimson Rouge tossed in there, too.
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby elinh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 pm

I like Baby Egrets as well. 6 inches, keep up the good work! :-)
elinh

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!