How(when) do you harvest sp.Rimcola seed pods

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

How(when) do you harvest sp.Rimcola seed pods

Postby Xena » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:50 pm

I have had the good fortune to have 3 species Rimcola produce seed pods. The pods are so tiny, its very hard to tell when to pick. It's compicated because Rimcola produced (and is still producing) blooms and pods over a span of 2+ months or so.

Does the plant just die back and you cut off the top half of it and let it all dry in an envelope or....... put a safety net under them hoping to catch spilled seeds?

I don't have trouble with normal sized streps but Rimcola is very small. I hope to gather for the seed fund. It was alot of fun to grow and so much quicker to bloom than any species I've tried.- I think strep collectors should at least try it once.

I've used a 30x magnifier to observe pods and so far they are intact but, they don't feet firm enough(to be drying out).

Xena
Xena

Postby dale4streps » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:09 am

Xena,

One has to wait for the seed pods to turn brown. I do think it takes more like 3 months for that to happen. They untwist very strongly, wide open so spilling of seeds is a problem. You'd have to snip off the pod as soon as it looks the least bit brown. Here's the challenge: I must have had 50 seed pods on my plant and the majority had no seeds at all.

I was unable to use it as a mom when pollinating it with hybrid streps.
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

how to know when Rimicola pods are ready

Postby Xena » Thu May 07, 2009 3:18 am

Dale, my pods turned brown quickly but I notice some feel firmer than others. The firm ones yielded seeds but, the softer ones did not.

I had put both in a container with a dri packet. Maybe if I had left the soft ones in longer they would have dried thoroughly. I'm back to checking the plants with a magnfier.
Xena

Postby dale4streps » Thu May 07, 2009 9:19 am

Xena, Glad to hear you got seeds at all. I got fat pods from pollinating it with other streps, but none of those had seeds in them. I was so hopeful, too! Thanks for the update!
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!