Will the REAL Mary Sakamoto please stand up?

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

Will the REAL Mary Sakamoto please stand up?

Postby Xena » Thu May 07, 2009 12:52 am

There has been alot of confusion of late regarding Mary Sakamoto, and two different plants out one without yellow in the throat and one with.

I had plants and leaves from several sources, all labeled as Mary Sakamo. I have gone by the photo Carlynn has posted on her site., a gorgeous delicately marked MS with white throat.

One of the plants I received bloomed just like that. I know Carlynn is a great promoter of this plant, and think she has probably seen a large number of them.

The plants grown from leaf cuttings all came up with bright yellow throats and darker markings. Not wanting to mislead others, I considered it a sport of MS. Now I am not sure which plant is the sport and which is the Real Mary.

I would love to hear Carlynns experiences with this plant, and also from Brad Thompson who hybridized it. I had seen photos elsewhere of people advertising this plant and it was the white throated one, of late they have yellow throats.

Someone please settle this for posterity. :sos:
Xena

Postby worker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 am

I have the same exact question. Anyone?
worker

Postby dale4streps » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:18 pm

I used to be in the same California gesneriad club as Brad Thompson. I was able to contact him and he said, "The Mary Sakamoto pictured is definately not Mary Sakamoto. Mary Quite Contrary looks just like the real Mary."

Dale
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby strepcrazy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:50 pm

So shall we remove the Mary Sakamoto photo and replace with Mary Quite Contrary?

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby dale4streps » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Technically, Nancy's hybrid isn't Mary Sakamoto and is a mutation Yet since Brad said that's what Mary Sakamoto looks like, I'd recommend using the photo of Mary Quite Contrary. He gave me one waaaay back when I lived in Los Angeles (at least 17 years ago) but I can't recall the throat area. I did use it as a mom and was shocked that none of the seedlings had that lacy/netting pattern, so it's not dominant.

Dale
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby strepcrazy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I am not sure what to do on this. My issue with this is the AGGS register does not recall this particular yellow throat trait? Does he by chance have any pictures of it?

(Brad Thompson) Large white, lower lobes veined and shaded bright pink. (AGGS Register)

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby dale4streps » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 pm

No, Brad doesn't have a photo, nor does he have this hybrid anymore. The register only lists what Michael Kartuz put in his catalog with that description. Technically only an official registration is the true description and that was never done. So therefore, Michael may have omitted the fact the flower had a yellow throat, although as a hybridizer, I'm sure Michael looked carefully! I had also chatted with Michael about the flower and he's the one who gave me Brad's e-mail.

Unfortunately whether it has or doesn't have a yellow throat is a real problem now 17 years later in that both varieties are being exchanged or sold carrying the Mary Sakamoto name.

If the hybridizer says Mary Quite Contrary has more of the true look, then you can just put a longer note in the description and say, Brad Thompson says this photo is more true to the coloring of the original hybrid.
Dale in Illinois
dale4streps

Postby strepcrazy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:21 pm

That sounds good to me. Thanks Dale.

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Postby strepcrazy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:37 pm

I have pictures of Mary Sakamoto with a yellow throat. I have posted that one for the first picture on the site. What are the chances that somehow maybe? the REAL MS must have sported along the way and "lost" its throat color? Other than throat color it seems these 2 plants growth and bloom size are the same? Maybe we should rename the sport without throat color Mary Sakamoto Sport? Lol

strepcrazy
Site Admin

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!