streptocarpus-info.com Forum Index
FAQ   FAQ  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Usergroups  Memberlist  Search  Register  Log in
What is the most sought after flower type?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    streptocarpus-info.com Forum Index -> "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: What is the most sought after flower type? Reply with quote

I have been playing around with the paintbrush, and am just trying to get "anything" new looking, and would love to name one eventually.

What does anyone think is the holy grail or most desirable or possibly unattainable flower?
What is your target?
It seems to me from the hundreds (?) of hybrids that there already are, that there can't be many designs left!
masdyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: perfection Reply with quote

I like plants that bear a lot of flowers per stem and those that can support the stem without falling over.
I prefer pinks & blues with piccotee edgeing and heavy veinig.
Last year I succeeded in getting a lot of plantlets from leaf cuttings and those that fill the above criteria I have put 3 or 4 plantlets in largers pots with an end result of having very large display plants.
This is a workin progress Evil_laugh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

come on lets see photos of the plants that meet your criteria. You have excellent taste (like me, ha ha). I also love the edging and veining and hate floppy blossom stems.

When I started with streps I ws told breeding for short flower stems was important. But if the stems are too short the buds get tangled in foliage - end result smashed or distorted blossoms that can't open on their own.

Taller stems that rise strongly above the leaves really put on a show.

I have never tried growing several streps in a pot, is it difficult to manage all the 'arms and legs,' trying to share the space. Come on, photo of this too -please.

Xena
masdyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: specimen plants Reply with quote

Xena
This year I have planted 5 plants of the same crossing into large pots to see what they look like as a large specimen plant. They include Falling Stars, Kim, Samantha & Tina. When they fill the pot (next year hopefully) I will take some pics.

I am also experimenting with self watering pots.

I also hate long stems that give way to the weight of the flowers. I have one called Leslie that does this. Annoying. Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    streptocarpus-info.com Forum Index -> "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: