What is the most sought after flower type?

Here is the place to learn or post about it!

Moderators: I like streps, lennywin, strepcrazy, Jim C., davioletman

What is the most sought after flower type?

Postby Nicky » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm

I have been playing around with the paintbrush, and am just trying to get "anything" new looking, and would love to name one eventually.

What does anyone think is the holy grail or most desirable or possibly unattainable flower?
What is your target?
It seems to me from the hundreds (?) of hybrids that there already are, that there can't be many designs left!
Nicky

perfection

Postby masdyman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:59 am

I like plants that bear a lot of flowers per stem and those that can support the stem without falling over.
I prefer pinks & blues with piccotee edgeing and heavy veinig.
Last year I succeeded in getting a lot of plantlets from leaf cuttings and those that fill the above criteria I have put 3 or 4 plantlets in largers pots with an end result of having very large display plants.
This is a workin progress :evil_laugh:
masdyman

Postby Xena » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 am

Dennis,

come on lets see photos of the plants that meet your criteria. You have excellent taste (like me, ha ha). I also love the edging and veining and hate floppy blossom stems.

When I started with streps I ws told breeding for short flower stems was important. But if the stems are too short the buds get tangled in foliage - end result smashed or distorted blossoms that can't open on their own.

Taller stems that rise strongly above the leaves really put on a show.

I have never tried growing several streps in a pot, is it difficult to manage all the 'arms and legs,' trying to share the space. Come on, photo of this too -please.

Xena
Xena

specimen plants

Postby masdyman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:30 am

Xena
This year I have planted 5 plants of the same crossing into large pots to see what they look like as a large specimen plant. They include Falling Stars, Kim, Samantha & Tina. When they fill the pot (next year hopefully) I will take some pics.

I am also experimenting with self watering pots.

I also hate long stems that give way to the weight of the flowers. I have one called Leslie that does this. Annoying. :mad:
masdyman

Return to "Hybridizing, Mutations and Experiments!